Swiss travel

What's your best piece of travel advice?

If you're flying long-haul, don't eat or drink on the plane because it messes up your body clock and metabolism. I've read that if you can eat before you fly and eat whatever you want when you land jet lag doesn't hit you so badly. I did this on a trip to San Francisco, starving myself for the nine-hour flight, while travelling with someone who did the opposite and ate. It was a good test, because when we landed I definitely felt better.

Where do you want to go next?

Given that I've been to India so many times, my next natural step would be Nepal, and I'd also like to go to Peru. They both seem such mystical locations, steeped in amazing history and culture.
...and disasters?

Which was your worst holiday?

My most recent holiday, last summer, when I had a week in Santorini, in Greece, wasn't great. There were periods when I couldn't avoid work; and it wasn't even enjoyable, creative work, it was business issues. That stress kind of overshadowed the trip, so although the weather was sunny I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. I did make up for it not long afterwards by taking a long weekend in Sicily.
And your worst experience on holiday?


When I first visited Delhi 15 years ago, I landed with only £60 on me and no hotel booked. We found somewhere in the fairly upscale market area of Nizamuddin for about £20 a night. But I didn't sleep a wink. The room was like a glorified prison cell, the linen was scratchy, and it was remarkably draughty. Never again! I've also been quite ill before on holiday to India, but that doesn't put me off one bit.
Albania's recent isolation means that there is still a magical sense of a time-warp in some areas. A coastal and mountainous country between Greece and Italy, much of its classical past is untouched - romantic ruins in glorious countryside. See what Jeremy Seal, writing for the Daily Telegraph, thought of our tour.