Wholesale travel

Wholesale travel
And the best hotel you've stayed in?

After the hustle and bustle of Bangkok, the island of Phuket has my favourite hotel in the world – the Amanpuri. It's absolutely exquisite. They've created the ultimate in discreet luxury, marrying the local exoticism with minimalism, while avoiding all the ridiculous pomp and ceremony you find in similar resorts around the world. It's very Zen and calming: you feel at one with nature because it has luxury huts rather than a single grandiose building. I've been twice and it costs the earth, but I'd love to visit again.

What do you need for a perfect holiday?

I prefer to travel from London to anywhere hotter. Apart from that, I think it's the company I'm away with that can really make or break a trip. Beyond that, I'm not particularly materialistic. I can do quite basic holidays and I can also do luxury – ultimately it's just about being able to get the time off. I'm always thinking about work, no matter where I am. I love my job, so I find it hard to switch off.
What do you always need to take with you?

My iPhone – I've not quite got to the point where I can turn my phone off when I'm on holiday. I'd like to get there one day, but it's yet to happen. I've also got to have my sketchpad and camera as I'm always making note of ideas and sights when I'm away.
Thursday I travelled up to London to attend the launch of the final report on the excavations carried out at San Vincenzo al Volturno in the region of Molise in Italy. Some Andante guests may remember visiting this site where the great Carolingian abbey with its remarkable painted crypts…